How to Obtain a Spanish Residence Permit

Obtain a Spanish Residence

Residency in Spain: A Complete Guide + Requirements


You will require a residence permit if you are from a non-EU nation and want to migrate to Spain. But how do you go about doing it? How do you go about getting your visa or permit? There are several sorts of residence cards available. One would be more appropriate than the other depending on your individual scenario.

It might be a real pain… However, we will make things simple for you. Allow us to take command! :

  • We’ll examine your case carefully to determine which type of residence permit is best for you.
  • We will walk you through all of the legal procedures necessary to obtain your permission in Spain.
  • We will assist you in obtaining the necessary papers and submitting them to the appropriate authority. All you have to do is sign the documents, and we’ll take care of the rest!
0 +

Satisfied Clients

0 +

Countries Served

0 %

Success Rate

0 +

Years Experience

Live in Spain

The Spanish Residency: Everything You Need to Know

Spain has everything you need: fantastic food, wonderful weather all year, a lovely mood, a rich culture, and a scenery (mountain + sea) that will never fail to surprise you. As a result, a large number of foreigners migrate to Spanish territory each year.

But how do you go about doing it? What is the procedure for obtaining a residence card and becoming a legal resident? We will cover all you need to know in this tutorial. We’ll go through all of the different options as well as the prerequisites for each.

Is it really necessary to apply for a residency permit?

The response must be divided amongst the two main categories of foreigners.

You only need to obtain your Identification Number in Spain (NIE) and your EU register certificate if you are a citizen of a European Union nation, the European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland. However, in order to stay lawfully in the nation for the long term, no visa or residency permit will be necessary. In order to live in Spain, EU nationals do not require a visa.

But what if you’re not a member of the EU, EEA, or Switzerland? Then, as a non-EU citizen, you’ll need to apply for a visa in order to lawfully work and live in the nation.

In this regard, Spain offers three distinct types of visas. And depending on how long you stay in the nation, you’ll either obtain one or the other:


Non-EU citizens can stay in the country for 90 days on a short-term visa, also known as a Schengen visa. It’s also known as a tourist visa. Keep in mind that a tourist visa will not allow you to get the vast majority of permissions. This implies that, in most cases, you cannot enter Spain on a short-term visa and then apply for a residence permit; you must apply from your home country. However, there are a few exceptions that we shall discuss later.


This is the option you should pursue if you intend to stay in Spain for a long time. The term “temporary residency” refers to the several sorts of residence permits that are available to you. They will let you to live and work lawfully in the nation for one or two years. You can extend your temporary residence visa for another year or two after that time has ended, providing you still fulfill the initial conditions.


PERMANENT RESIDENCY is a term that refers to a person’s ability to live
You will not need to renew your permission or visa after 5 years of continuous residence in Spain. That’s because you’ll be entitled to apply for permanent residency, which is a permit that allows you to live and work in Spain eternally.

The prerequisites are really simple to fulfill. The long-run card may be obtained with just your passport, current permission, and properly completed form. Nonetheless, even though we said that you must have resided in the nation for 5 years, you should keep in mind that any years spent in Spain on a student visa constitute half of your total time in the country.

Non-EU citizens can apply for residency in Spain.

Let’s take a closer look at the various residence possibilities available to non-EU citizens.

In Spain, there are many types of visas and residency permits:

Let’s imagine you’re not interested in working in Spain. You want to retire in the country, or you just have sufficient funds to avoid engaging in any economic activity. The retirement or non-lucrative visa will then be your best alternative. It has a very simple set of requirements:

You must purchase private health insurance.
It is also necessary to show that you have sufficient financial resources. The legal need is 26.000€, although it may be more depending on your consulate.

Visas that aren't very profitable Permit to work in the United States

Is it possible to start a business and obtain residence at the same time? You can do so with an entrepreneur visa. You can easily obtain this visa if the project you want to establish in Spain is of economic relevance to the country, creative, and includes a high degree of technology (as proven by the business plan). If you just want to start a normal business, obtaining a work permit as a self-employed individual is an ideal option. Our business attorneys will help you with all aspects of starting a business in Spain as well as tax planning.

Visa for investors

Many residency permit application procedures can be difficult, requiring a large number of paperwork and criteria. The Golden Visa was established to address this predicament. You may easily obtain residence in Spain if you invest 500.000€ in Spanish real estate. One of the simplest methods to begin living in Spain is to obtain an investment permission.

Student Visa

Do you wish to pursue your master’s or doctoral studies in Spain? Do you intend to carry out any type of research in the country? Then you should apply for a student visa. Non-EU citizens can study or conduct research in Spain with this residency permit. With this visa, you can work and undertake an internship. Furthermore, one of its benefits is that it allows you to move to a work permit later on, removing the need for the complicated work visa criteria.

Work permit

There are many sorts of work visas you may apply for, depending on your position and the employment offer you have. Each has its own set of needs, and each application is unique:

Regular work permit, which you must apply for from your home country. Your Spanish employer will be the one to apply for a residence permit on your behalf.
If you have a job offer as a highly-skilled worker, you can begin the process of obtaining a residence visa while still in Spain. This visa is available to people who have been offered a position as a manager or other technical role and earn more than 40.000€ per year.
The EU blue card, which permits you to work within the European Union, is similar to the skilled professional visa.

Visa for a family member of an EU citizen

European Union residents residing in Spain can bring their non-EU relatives with them via this immigration procedure. After forming a civil partnership or marrying a non-EU national, the residence permit as a family member of a European Union citizen is normally established. Furthermore, relatives, parents, and children of European Union citizens have the right to get residence and employment authorisation.

Through marriage, you can get residence in Spain.

Getting married to a Spanish native (or an EU citizen) will make it easier for you to obtain a visa in Spain. Not only will you be able to receive your legal status via marriage, but you will also be able to get it through forming a civil partnership. In that sense, you have two options for obtaining residence through marriage:

If your spouse is a European citizen, the family member of an EU citizen visa will be your best bet.
However, if your spouse is from a non-EU nation and has held a residence permit in Spain for a year, you may be eligible for residency. Then there’s the family reunification procedure, which will assist you in becoming a legal resident.

Make an Appointment

for any inquiry



There are some things I wouldn't advocate doing on your own because of government delays; this was one of them, and I couldn't be happier that I hired them. I performed an operation on them in front of foreigners, which I strongly suggest!!! They performed an excellent job and counseled me as I waited. I also find your website's content to be really beneficial; thank you for making it available! Thank you for all of your greetings!


Amazing service and professionalism, as well as unrivaled understanding of the challenges that most expats confront in the area. It comes highly recommended!

Freda WordPress Dev.

With all of the complexity surrounding post-Brexit immigration restrictions, Balcells Group will give you with straightforward legal solutions. Don't depend just on YouTube videos; pay for professional advice and acquire the appropriate answer before moving to Spain. In only one call, it will pay for itself. Thank you very much, Cristian!

Step-by-step instructions for obtaining Spanish residence

You now know all of the alternatives available to you in order to begin lawfully residing in Spain and gaining residency as a non-EU immigrant. The first question that comes to me is, “How do I do it?” What is the needed paperwork that I must submit? Which requirements must I meet in order to be considered?

Every residency permit is unique. Each type of visa has its own set of criteria, and the documents you must provide to the Spanish Immigration Office varies. Regardless of the route you choose, there are some commonalities that you should keep in mind.

Documents that are required

First and foremost, you must obtain your NIE NUMBER. The NIE is a fundamental identifying number that any foreigner in Spain need in order to begin a legal action. This document is required for opening a bank account, purchasing a home, purchasing a car, and even applying for a regular residency permit. The NIE is required for both EU citizens and non-EU people.
Demonstrate that you have enough money to support yourself in the nation. The fee varies depending on whose residency card you apply for. For further information, contact our attorneys.
Demonstrate that you haven’t had any criminal records in the past few years (not just in Spain, but in any country).

Having comprehensive health insurance that covers the entire country, whether it be public or private.
Documents required by your specific residency permit.
Form for obtaining a visa.
The correspoding fee must be paid.
Make a copy of all of your passport’s pages.

You cannot copy content of this page

error: Content is protected !!